Featured Post

Yuh Tek Mi Fi Journey Jackass

A "Journey Jackass" this is not! Winter scene in Quebec City Yuh tek mi fi journey jackass. It's been a while!  ...

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Every mickle mek a muckle

I hear so many beautiful proverbs all the time, and I just wished I wrote that down! Proverbs are a part of daily life in Jamaica.  They are colourful, funny and deep, all at once.  Proverbs is such a cleaver way to impart wisdom, so here I will write and decipher proverbs from Jamaica and around the world for your entertainment and edification.

AFRICAN VIOLET



"Every mickle mek a muckle" - this is a common Jamaican proverb, most often used in reference to money.  Country folks use it in reference to gathering produce or fruits, especially in drought or end of crop when the remant is garnered either for sale or home use.

What on earth does this mean?

Every small amount of effort, or money put together will amount to something significant!


Do not ignore or neglect small amount of money, for example.  If you save small amounts on a regular basis it will eventually grow to a sum that you can do something worthwhile with.  Over the my career in financial services I have seen how important this is, and of course, since I have many Jamaican clients this is a proverb I hear when they are pleasantly surprised the see the results of small consistent effort over time!

Beverley 


3 comments:

  1. Ok my #Jamaicans & wannabe Jamaicans, affectionately referred to as #Jafaicans, do you know this popular proverb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, thank you for sharing
    skinetyx.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for explaining the adage.

    ReplyDelete